Aluminium 3D printing is one of the most popular methods for metal 3D printing. This versatile metal has a low density and exceptional mechanical and thermal properties. It is also a good conductor of electricity.
The 3D Printing Material
Aluminium is your answer if you are looking for metals that are light as well as strong. Its mechanical properties include,
- High strength
- Pinpoint dimensional accuracy
- Resistant to corrosion
- Conductor of heat
- Conductor of electricity
To obtain a 3D print in aluminium, the processes of Selective Laser Melting (SLM) or Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS) are recommended. Aluminium alloys are available as:
- AlSi10Mg: Aluminium with silicone (10%) and magnesium alloys
- AlSi12: Aluminium with silicone alloy (12%)
- AlSi7Mg: Aluminium with silicone (7%) and magnesium alloys
- AlSi9Cu3: Aluminium with silicone (+/-9%) and copper (+/-3%) alloys
How It Works
DMLS is one of the most advanced and suitable technologies to create a model using 3D printing in aluminium. A high-powered laser is used to sinter the aluminium powder together, one layer at a time.
Support structures are required in the process, that are generated automatically. They can later be removed manually. A final treatment with heat is carried out once the printing is complete. Ideally, one should take care of the following while 3D printing in aluminium.
- Design geometry: Designers should take care of the geometry of their concepts. A mesh is an ideal shape for DMLS 3D printing in aluminium.
- Support structures: In order to maintain the rigidity of the model during the process of printing, use support structures. This will also help prevent any internal stress and the resultant deformations. Remember, these structures are automatically generated although you can manually remove them later.
Benefits of Aluminium 3D Printing
Aluminium 3D printing in Melbourne has become extremely popular across industries, and especially, in the automotive, aerospace and defence sectors. This is because of the metal’s ability to remain true to precision, no matter how complex the design.
Additionally, it has excellent physical properties, as mentioned at the outset. Ideal for 3D printing interlocked parts and non-demountable mechanism, the versatile metal is preferred for its following advantages:
- Superior speed of printing
- Lesser assembly time
- Exceptional topology
- Light weight
- Ideal for short production runs
- Suitable for mass customization
Zeal 3D Printing Service in Aluminium
Zeal offers high-quality 3D printing service in aluminium. We use the SLM method to fuse and melt the metallic powder of aluminium. Avail our cutting-edge services for the following applications:
- Fully functional parts as well as spare parts
- Printing jewellery
- Engine parts
- Heat exchanger applications
- Production tools
- Prototyping moulds
- Manufacturing moulds
Aluminium 3D printing embodies energy-efficient production. And, Zeal is committed to the mantra of eco-friendly and cost-effective services without compromising quality.